Today’s design owes much to this name: Dieter Rams
Born in 1932, the German industrial designer, advocate of the motto ”less but better”, is one of the most recognized and influential designers of the 20th Century.
His extensive work for German consumer products company Braun, or British furniture company Vitsœ, among others, still influence contemporary design and brands such as Apple.
After asking himself “Is my design good design?” he developed the inspiring “10 Principles of Good Design”:
- Good Design Is innovative
- Good Design Makes a product useful
- Good Design Is aesthetic
- Good Design Makes a product understandable
- Good Design Is unobtrusive
- Good Design Is honest
- Good Design Is long-lasting
- Good Design Is thorough down to the last detail
- Good Design Is environmentally friendly
- Good Design Is as little design as possible
Zé Alves Costa